Monday, December 17, 2012

The last Christmas present I made this year...

Today I sat down to get the last Christmas present for this year done, which was an idea I had a while ago already actually. Embroidering a big bathing towel for my 9 year old brother.
I always find it difficult to find something to give to him, especially as he gets older. He helped a little since he asked for Star Wars Lego Figures so I got him the C-3PO he wanted and also a little surprise one, a red Imperial Guard. All the Star Wars nerds will know what I'm talking about ;)

Anyhow, I thought - even though those lego figures are quite expensive - that 2 figures weren't really enough, so after deciding back and forth on doing cross stitch for the towel, which I officially hate since the Harley Davidson logo, I thought I could simply use different fabric letters and embroider them on...

So after making stencils I cut out the letters then went through my stash of thread and picked out the matching colours for each letter and started to sew them on.

 


I have to admit I was a bit anxious about doing this before actually starting it, since I picked a font that was thinner and more delicate than all those bold texts that probably would've been easier and less curvy and edgy, but I thought this looked way better, especially with the swirly "N", all others just looked plain and boring. 

It all turned out rather easy though, I fixed the letters with small strips of double-sided iron on tape to the towel so that I didn't have to use any needles and then went to work. This machine usually struggles with bulky material and also with things that have a lot of fluff, which was why I was surprised that it handled the towel so easily. The small loops didn't get caught in the transporter of the foot once and the needle went through the thick towel like through butter. And the outcome I think looks stunning. Am really proud of this one and hope that he'll like it too. What do you think? Here it is. From the front and further down a closer look to the embroidery and also the backside. :)



Thanks for reading and a happy holiday season to everyone!

Until next time,
xx Lia

2 comments:

  1. It looks awesome, love the font you chose! And you finally got a chance to use all those blue tones... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, the bit about the blue fabric was just what I thought lol!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...