Sunday, February 24, 2013

February Block of the Month and another bag...

It seems that I like to wait until the very last minute to create my blocks for the "And Sew On" Block of the Month project at Quiet Play.


The Block for February is called 'You Little Ripper' and includes a paper-pieced seam ripper. I have to say, since I am still all new to paper-piecing and so far have only done 2 stars and well, the first BOM for January, I was struggling with this one a tiny bit. My seam ripper came to good use on this one. Strangely all the seams toward the white fabric are aligning perfectly, but not the seams on the actual squares of the fabrics. Granted I trimmed my block slightly before taking the pictures, but I didn't have any big differences in the pieces, just 2 mm max here and there, what am I doing wrong? LOL!


 But then again, obviously the pattern tells you that a seam ripper is needed on the sewn piece that is shown,  so I suppose it's not that bad after all and I'm proud of it, the blades of the seam ripper were easier to sew than I thought.

Also I added a bit of personal touch. Next to using the same fabrics that I used for the first block, I decided to use a certain piece of fabric for the handle of the seam ripper, so now it's got buttons on it.

Here are my two blocks together:


I honestly can't wait for the next block! 

Oh and since the first little clutch bag was so popular, I got another order asking for the same bag, just with different features, so here goes the sparkly evening clutch that now has a new home with my most treasured customer in Finland.




Until next time!
xx Lia

5 comments:

  1. Oh well done on your seam ripper block! It turned out great. I just love the fussy cutting on the handle :)

    And don't worry - sometimes with paper piecing it seems like things shrink a bit and don't always line up perfectly. But the end result - great looking block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on this! I'm also new to paper piecing and mine doesn't match up nearly as well. I love the way you fussy cut the handle, I actually thought they were real buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fabric choices and I wish my real seam ripper was that pretty! My blocks were much more wonky than yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! :) I checked all the blocks that were submitted in the Link-Up so far and I envy those who managed to get all the seams aligned. I unpicked 2 or 3 times lol. And my real life seam ripper is just a plain off white colour, so boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blocks!! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...