Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hurray For Spring!

Ha! If only it would show itself over here, we still have snow every odd day and it's freezing cold thanks to the nice east wind that has been blowing strongly for days.

"Hurry For Spring" is the title of the final challenge of this Project Quilting Season. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough time for me to take part in challenge no. 5, due to work and other important appointments, and even though I'm currently sick with flu and still working lots, I decided that I just have to join up in the final challenge. 

So what does spring resemble for me? The first flowers, blue skies, the grass starting to grow again and Easter. And since daffodils belong not just to the first flowers that start poking their heads through the naked soil of our garden, but also to Easter, I decided on them.


I created a small wall-hanging, using the Kanzashi technique and yo-yo templates to create different sized daffodils, which was a first as I've worked with yo-yo's before, but never made Kanzashi flowers. Since I had this tutorial book for them on my wishlist though, and received it for Christmas, this was the perfect time to try this technique out and it turns out to be suuuuper easy and fun!

Another first is me actively doing some free-motion quilting on this piece. I've never done that on a quilt before, least not the traditional way with feed dogs down and moving the piece with your hand, only on test swatches. It turned out pretty wobbly and with different stitch lengths showing, but I'm very pleased with the overall look of this piece, even though my shoulders were stiff afterwards as my neck had retracted into them like I was copying a turtle lol! :)

Here's a few more in-the-process pictures.



And some close-ups after finishing it.



This really puts me in the mood for spring and I am looking forward to all the different types of daffodils to start to bloom in our garden. I think I'm gonna name this piece "In Bloom". Just simple as that. My mother has already claimed it :)

I'm also linking this up to the Monthly Book Challenge at "Heart of Charnwood". Since I used the following book to learn about making the Kanzashi flowers.



Until next time!
xx Lia



5 comments:

  1. That looks terrific, well done Julia, you're in again!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Habe meine Stimme für dich abgebeben. Wunderschöne Arbeit! Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Do you have a pattern for this? TIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittany, thanks for your comment! It's explained in the post above how I made the flowers. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...