Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Bat-Hoot-Bag...

Finished work a little earlier than usual today and thought I could make use of the bit of extra time to finish the tote for my current swap.

I really hope my partner will like this, so without further ado, here's the tote I made for my partner :)


I made the bag out of a cotton-linen blend of fabric and appliqued the owl and branches on. Personally I think the owl looks a bit like batman, so this will be lovingly called the bat-hoot-bag. *coughs*

The front and back are both quilted, the front in free-motion. It's the first time I did this with my Singer machine, and found it to be a lot easier than on my mum's old machine, which was so difficult to do that it almost completely put me off free-motion. So I'm a little proud, since this piece turned out quite nicely in my opinion. Of course I still have a lot more to learn, seeing how I'm a complete and utter free-motion beginner. 

I used one of the fancy stitches on my machine to embroider the straps. That stitch has turned into my favourite for totes, I've used it a lot recently. Those leaves are just too cute. The lining fabric is a low volume flower print and I also added a small pocket, so my partner has some extra space.

Here are a  few more close-ups of the bag.




I also have a few little extras to send along with the bag, but I want to keep them a surprise to my partner, so won't be posting pictures of them yet. :)

And last but not least, I'm linking this project up as my entry to the Modern Mini Quilt Challenge hosted by the lovely Jennifer Mathis at Ellison Lane Quilts


Hope you all have a great day!

Until next time,
xx Lia

13 comments:

  1. I love this bag! It is great fun, and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! I love owls! You don't look like a beginner free motion quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hoot* or should i say *woot* ;-) looks absolutely awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! I love it. So amazing and clever. Ohhhh I feel such a beginner sewer with all you amazing ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the grape owl and all the quilting. There is no way that your secret partner won't fall in love with the bag; it is too cute for words! And your free-motion quilting is beautiful. It really fits with the woodland theme. Your partner is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a fun bag - I'm sure your partner will love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bag hoot, ha! Great job in the appliqué.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job. I have to say that my favourite part is how you've graduated the quilting on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "WHO" ever that bag is for....she will love it ! I'm going to be under the wire, my machine is out of commission right now ! Yikes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lia, Thanks for entering the Modern Mini Challenge! Cute bag!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...