For the past couple days, or actually weeks, I've been spending each possible moment on my machine and sewing up Christmas presents. Just a couple days ago I finished the one for my best friend, but I can't show you that one until after Christmas, as she comes by this space every now and then and I really don't want to spoil the surprise.
What I can show you, is the progress that I'm making on the Star Wars quilt for my little brother. I've finished the next 4 blocks, which are R2D2, C3-PO, a Storm Trooper and Darth Vader, and then decided that I'm going to redo Princess Leia. Her block was the first one that I made to test the pattern for Kristy from Quiet Play, who has created all these amazing patterns, but I used a flower print on her gown and did all the other blocks in solids. Also, my brother is obviously a boy, so flower prints? Meh! So I will be re-doing Princess Leia tomorrow.
C3-PO, R2D2, Darth Vader, Storm Trooper
I'm starting to get pretty excited about this, as the last couple blocks were really fun to make. Darth Vader proved to be the struggle that I thought he would be, especially as I wish that I had a darker grey to create the accents of his face, but this had to do. And I just love how cute C3-PO is!
For the sashing I bought this really cool fabric called "Out of this world" from the Stonehenge Kids collection by Northcott and it has a galaxy print and actually glows in the dark. I thought it was perfect for this quilt and I can't wait to start cutting into it.
For the back of this quilt I bought a Lego Darth Vader Fleece Plaid. It's all soft and nice and I thought, since Kristy's patterns are especially for Lego Star Wars figures, this would fit the best as a backing and give the quilt a cuddly and warm texture. I also bought variegated thread that blends from a light shade of blue into royal and darker blue, so it should go well with the background.
And then just for reference of the space available, I laid all my finished blocks out on the blanket. I still have to paint all the faces on and the Leia in the top row is still the old one, that I will yet replace. Plus, the final 4 blocks that I made in the past 2 days, all still have the paper on. I'm dreading the removal, it's what I hate most about paper-piecing. Don't get me wrong, I adore the things you can do with paper-piecing, all these pictures you can create with this technique, but removing the paper from your project is by far the worst thing ever! LOL!
As there is still room next to the blocks, I decided to add 3 lightsabres in the matching colours to each of their partnered blocks. For example Obi Wan will get a blue one, Luke a green and Darth Vader a red one, while I will do an appliqued Star Wars logo next to Han Solo.
I've got it all planned out in my head, just hope that I can pull it off the way I want it to be and then get it done in time, so please keep your fingers crossed for me ;)
Until next time, happy sewing!