Friday, February 20, 2015

"Love is Equal" - Project Quilting Challenge 4

This week's challenge of Project Quilting was called 'Have a Heart' and it didn't take me long to come up with an idea of what I wanted to do for it.


For this challenge I made a cushion cover with 12 paper-pieced hearts (original pattern by Cath from Wombat Quilts) and loads of low volume fabrics, as well as fabrics with heart prints. 


The challenge itself asked to have at least 12 hearts in the finished project, wether they be quilted, on the fabric or sewn. I think I'm coming to a total of 28 hearts that are completely shown, when I count the ones that are printed on some of my fabrics. 





As you will notice, not all my hearts are the same. I included a rainbow heart on purpose, as I find this week's challenge to be perfect to raise awareness for the LGBTQIA community.


While I know that this piece might be controversial for some people, I personally feel strongly about this matter and think that no one should be discriminated for their heritage, colour, religion, and most definitely not for who they choose to love. 


Love is love, it won't change, it will always be the same feeling, no matter who the person is you fall in love with. Love has no boundaries, love is equal. At least to me, and that's why I named this cushion cover "Love is Equal".


While I know that the hope that one day we'll all be living on this planet with an understanding and certain respect for each other's life choices is still a pretty long shot, it makes me happy to see how far humanity as already come in terms of awareness and acceptance. And I know that I would never try to change my very best friends, because I love them just the way they are. :)

That being said, this cushion will go to my best friend, who also gave her input on fabrics while I was sewing it up, thankfully she shares my obsession with rainbows, lol!

The finished cushion measures about 18" x 18" and for the pictures I stuffed it with a 20" filling to make it look nice and stuffed. 

Here are a few more detailed shots of a few fussy cut parts:

  

Last but not least I want to say another massive thanks for all the votes on my "Cupcake O'Hare" from challenge 3. It reached second place in the viewer's choice voting as well, just like my "Morning in the Moor" project from challenge 2. Thanks so much everyone! 

Also, it would make me extremely happy if you all vote for me again this week. Since I know that some of my readers will share different beliefs regarding my project for this week, I am not counting on it, though. 

But like André Gide said, "It is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not".

Much love to all of you out there, rainbow or not!
xx Lia

10 comments:

  1. Good for you! Some beliefs are worth the chance of offending for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pillow cushion and your embracing of a persons right to choose who they are and who they love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillow is lovely and I really like the addition of the rainbow heart. Love should be inclusive, not exclusive! I can't wait to vote for you and hope others will too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillow is so sweet and represents your heart so well. I'm in love with your low volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabric choices and so impressed by the zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I love the pillow itself and its message too. www.quiltartbymegan.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! Wonderful from all angles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this pillow and the idea behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had seen your pillow when the voting window was open, I would have voted as often as I could and would have asked my friends to do the same. Your pillow is beautiful as are the sentiments behind it's creation. I am going to have to make and gift this pillow for some family and friends whom we love.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...